Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Elder Fontenot--A True Cajun Southerner

Woke up this morning looking like a porcupine so I grabbed a brush to try and calm it down.  No such luck.  Now I looked like a hedgehog!  My only hope was to attack with the curling iron, and, low and behold, it looked really good!  Best haircut. I usually have to wash it once after a cut to tame it down. Not so today.  I'm SO happy, but not happy enough to endure another 2 1/2 hours 6 weeks from now.

I'd like to introduce Elder Fontenot.  He's the best southerner ever! He'll be the mission housing coordinator taking care of leases.  Marc's still responsible for the financial part.  Also, he and his wife care for his brother who was brain-injured because he was beaten when he was younger and her mom who's 98 years old.

The more we get to know Elder F, the more we like him.  He's southern through and through--a raconteur of southern hospitality and culture.  He's been introducing us to his favorite foods and restaurants.  So far he's 2 for 2 in good places to eat. Today he brought in a few "specialty items" for us to try. The upper right is sirloin jerky.  Yummy with just a little kick. The middle is Boudin sausage aka Boston butt sausage.  It's made with pork, spices and the "holy trinity"--celery, onion and bell pepper.  The bottom picture is hog's head cheese, but it has nothing to do with milk.  The way it used to be made is now illegal, and I'm not sure the new and improved way sounds much better, so they'll not be included on this blog.  If you're really interested in learning about it check it out on the Internet!  And, yes, I did eat everything on my plate, or paper towel, and tasted it for the rest of the day.  Perhaps I won't eat that for breakfast again.

No comments:

Post a Comment