Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Thoughts from Sacrament Meeting

I always get myself into trouble if I don't write almost immediately on this blog. But Ryan, Arlene and the boys arrived so recently, and we were having so much fun that I put it off until today (Tuesday). Now things are a bit foggy, so I'll just have to wing it. This past Sunday was the Sunday before Christmas, so "programs" are very different in small branches. There's no ward choir, no primary, and no special music, but we did get to sing 5 Christmas Carols and have 3 good speakers who focused on the Savior and His birth, so I'm just posting some of the things that were said with a few personal comments.                                                                                       Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. What a timely scripture and painting for Christmastime. Only we can open our doors and hearts from the inside to allow the Savior to come in. The original painting, not the one I've posted, is by the artist, Holman Hunt, entitled "The Light of the World." Brother Marchand talked about some of the symbolism that was in the first painting, such as, the weeds that cumber from daily neglect, a bat in darkness symbolizing ignorance, the royal robes of Christ as a sign of His reign over body and soul, and a night scene illuminated by a lantern carried by Christ symbolizing Him lighting the way. Lots to think about.

Brother Trent talked about the gifts of Christmas, and said that the first gift was love, then quoted John 3:16. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." He shared the story of "Christmas Jars" by Jason F. Wright and that the Lord blesses those who give without expectation of getting anything in return. 
Brother T also shared some of the symbols of Christmas and what gifts, decorations, lights, parades and Santa can remind us of at this time of the year.
Bronson and Gavin at the smallest church in the world
I've got to quit posting pictures of Mike, but Ryan really does get the prize for the best pic ever of this beautiful Tiger!
Love this grandson who now looks down on me. We're at the capitol and the tree in the lobby is absolutely stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment