Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple

Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow in Baton Rouge?

Snow? Well, sort of! We woke up to some flakes of white. 


You couldn't exactly call this real snow if you live in Utah, but it has absolutely turned Baton Rouge upside down!  Both bridges across the Mississippi River have been closed all day. Not actually because of snow but due to the low temperatures. Things have frozen and become extremely icy so traffic is a nightmare.  It took the local Elders 1 1/2 hours to get to their district meeting at the stake center. It's less than 5 miles from here! Can I say how very happy I am that we live about 2 blocks from the office!

I am completely flabbergasted by the enormity of what goes on in this mission and the church throughout the world. And it's all at my fingertips in our little office. How did everything get accomplished without computers? The amount of work we were able to complete today would've take days in my pre-computer world from years gone by. Wow! Welcome to reality. 
Sister Olsen continues to be an absolute treasure! Nothing ruffles her, and everything is taken in stride. 

We received several referrals in the past week and needed to get them to the missionaries in the correct areas. How? Pull up the "meetinghouse locator" on lds.org, type in the address (if you have it), get the closest ward or branch name, find the missionaries serving in that area, then send referral to their phone. If the addresses are out of our mission boundaries we can easily send it to the appropriate mission. No problem! All of this is done using 2 computer screens. What an advantage it is to have 2 screens. Very little minimizing and maximizing to be done. 

We also updated all the changes from the recent transfers. Pres. Wall does most of the work, but it still needed some corrections, additions, editing, copying, etc. Can I just say how much I love the printer and copy machine we have that does double side printing without me having to stand on my head, roll over and figure out how on earth to put the paper in after the first side is finished. 

My appreciation for Mission Presidents is growing by leaps and bounds! When our friends presided over a mission in the Dominican Republic I knew they were busy, but busy doesn't even describe it. I'm thinking more like 3 years without sleep! So, to past Pres. Johns, Pres. Wall, Pres. Hart, Pres. Erickson and every other MP in the world, my gratitude and eternal thanks to you for your tireless efforts and untold hours of work, love and dedication you give to these precious missionaries throughout the world. Talk about shepherding and following the Savior's example! These men and their wives are at the top of my list. I don't know personally about other presidents, but I understand that Pres. Wall doesn't need a roster. It's all in his head--every elder and sister, who they serve with and where. That's very impressive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment